The present church built in the ‘Perpendicular’ style is believed to have replaced a Norman church, possibly cruciform in plan with a tower over the crossing.
The present building was a deliberate display of wealth on the part of the 15th century citizens of Norwich, then the second city in England after London: the church is almost entirely faced with limestone, which was brought from many miles away by land and sea since there is no local free-stone in Norfolk. The stone is used with expensive knapped flintwork. The mighty tower, heavily panelled and buttressed to all four sides, was probably intended to carry a further lantern stage, as at Boston in Lincolnshire, but this was never done. The tower was crowned with the lead-covered fleche, stone parapet and pinnacles, by the Architect A. E. Street in 1895. The tower contains an historic peal of 14 bells. Click here for more information on the history of the bells and bellringing at Mancroft.
The church has fine porches with stone vaulted ceilings to the North and South. The North porch has parvise (a room over the porch).
As rebuilt, the church occupies the entire length of the original churchyard. In order to maintain a route around the building within the churchyard for processions, a popular element of worship in the 15th century, at the east end a processional way was built (now incorporated in the Octagon) under the raised high altar, and balanced by an even more impressive passage-way under the tower. Right: the West doors under the tower.